Formed in 2001, the Gimblett Gravels Winegrowers Association is a fully incorporated body registered under the Incorporated Societies Act 1908.
Presently, the Association comprises over 20 wine producing, and 4 winegrower, members (view full list of current members).
The criteria for membership is as follows:
- The member must own a vineyard in the District;
- The member must have 95% of their vineyard soils classified as recent soils but restricted to Class 1 through 4 and their various phases inclusive as described in the "Soil Map of the Heretaunga Plains".
The member must produce and or market under the member's own brand wine which has been produced from grapes of which 95% are from the District.
Admission to membership shall be by way of election at a general meeting of the Society and a clear majority of votes cast by members present and voting at the meeting shall qualify the candidate for election to membership.
The GGWA is managed by an executive committee comprising elected representatives of the members. These representatives are elected annually at the Association's Annual General meeting.
Current Chairman of the Association is Tony Bish, Chief Winemaker of Sacred Hill Winery .
Tony is supported by the executive team , comprising the following members:
||Trinity Hill Wines
||Mission Estate Winery
||Newton Forrest Estate
||Esk Valley Estate
||Squawking Magpie Wines
The executive committee is, in turn, supported by Executive Officer, Geoff Wilson.
It is the Association's objective to further consolidate our marketing efforts, namely:
• to fortify our trademark registrations in leading international markets;
• to actively promote all our members' wines on a co-operative platform;
• to apply the Rules of Association to ensure that only wines that qualify bear the name and logo of the Gimblett Gravels Winegrowers Association;
• to commission technical studies that will provide greater understanding and improve wine quality.
The task of the Gimblett Gravels Winegrowers Association is large but with the unswerving commitment of passionate people, this extraordinary area will continue to captivate the imagination with its unlimited potential – no compromises, no politics.